Main Menu Top Menu


  • FAQ
Expand All | Collapse All
  • 1. How do I know I can apply for the Short-term Exchange Program in Shih Hsin University?

    All applications for admissions as non-degree exchange students are based on the agreement of collaboration signed by Shih Hsin University and the partner institution.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 104 Times
  • 2. What is the purpose of Shih Hsin University Short-term Exchange Program?

    The purpose of Shih Hsin University’s short-term exchange program is to enhance the partnership relationship between SHU and its collaborative institutions, and to promote international academic exchange and cultural communication. SHU offers this program to students who plan to study Chinese language in an Asian university; students will benefit from SHU’s outstanding and unique educational environment, and vibrant campus life.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 61 Times
  • 3. What is the History of SHU?

    Shih Hsin University was founded in 1956 by the late famous journalist and publisher, Mr. She-Wo Cheng. Originally an institution devoting itself to training professional journalists, Shih Hsin University developed into a full-fledged university in August 1997. The university has four colleges, including the College of Journalism and Communications, the College of Management, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, and the School of Law. To meet the needs of people who are already working, but wish to continue their education, the university offers continuing education programs ultimately leading towards bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. Shih Hsin University has also been assessed as an “Excellence in Teaching University” by Taiwan’s Ministry of Education since 2005.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 46 Times
  • 4. Are there any scholarships available during my exchange period?

    ❑ SHU’s exchange program is highly affordable because the tuition will be waived. The only fee that needs to be paid for is accommodation fee (based on the MOU between SHU and your home University.)

    ❑ For students who hold USA, UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand passports with excellent English knowledge will be provided NTD 14,100 (after taxes deducted) scholarship monthly with the condition that students cooperate in campus events involving conversation sessions with local students in the Language Corner.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 60 Times
  • 5. What documents should I prepare for the application?

    There are 6 hard copy documents need to be sent by express for exchange application. (Please send us the electric file in advance for our review and we will inform you to send out the hard copy)

    ❑ Application Form for International Exchange Students*1

    ⎯ with 1 photo attached, home university signed and stamped

    ❑ Certificate of nomination from home university*1

    ⎯ A teacher of Chinese language, or one who can prove the applicant’s English or Chinese language proficiency from home university.

    ❑ Health Certificate for Residence Application*1

    ⎯ within the past 3 months

    ❑ Official transcript in English from home university*1

    ⎯ Please also attach the grading/credit system explanation

    ❑ Photocopy of passport*1

    ❑ Passport size photos*2

    ⎯ official passport photo in size of 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 68 Times
  • 6. When should I arrive in Taiwan for the exchange program?

    You are advised to arrive in Taiwan 2~4 days before the semester begins. There will be an orientation held on the first week of your arrival. All exchange students are required to attend it.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 76 Times
  • 7. Do I need to apply to live in the school dormitory by myself? How much does it cost?

    ❑ The Office of International Affairs will help all the exchange students apply for campus dormitory.

    ❑ The price will be around NTD12,000 per semester.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 50 Times
  • 8. What type of on-campus dormitory does SHU provide?

    ❑ 4-story Dorm

    ❑ Each room is furnished with an individual single bunk bed, study desk, desk lamps, bookshelves, built-in wardrobes, air-conditioning, fan, telephone.

    ❑ Public bathroom and restroom

    ❑ Coin-operated washing machines and tumble dryers

    ❑ Drinking fountain

    ❑ Electricity

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 51 Times
  • 9. Can I choose my roommates?

    Exchange students will share the room with three other SHU students of the same gender. All dormitory rooms are allocated by the University and students cannot choose their roommates or accommodation buildings. Male and female students live in two separate dormitories. It is prohibited for male students to enter the female dormitory, and vice versa.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 51 Times
  • 10. Is it possible to change my dorm room?

    In order to be fair to everyone, the dormitory office does not allow you to change your assignment. In addition, we are at full capacity each semester, thus room changes are not possible unless students encounter difficult situations.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 43 Times
  • 11. Do SHU on-campus dormitory have a curfew?

    Yes, from 12:30 A.M. to 05:30 A.M.

    There is a manager on each floor and he/she will check if exchange students are in their rooms around 11:00 P.M. every night; please inform the manager if you will be late or spend the night off campus.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 51 Times
  • 12. What are the other regulations of the SHU dormitory?

    ❑ SHU will hold students financially responsible for any damage incurred to their rooms during the contract period and for any SHU property students fail to return.

    ❑ Residents are not allowed to drink alcohol or smoke inside the dormitory and cannot possess, use, or offer illegal drugs.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 38 Times
  • 13. What is the SHU on-campus dormitory mailing address and what is the required information?

    ❑ Name

    ❑ Dorm No. (1 or 2), Room (XXX)

    ❑ Shih Hsin University

    ❑ No. 1, Ln. 17, Sec. 1, Muzha Rd., Wenshan Dist., Taipei City 116, Taiwan (R.O.C.)

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 35 Times
  • 14. What period of study programs do SHU offer?

    ❑ Fall semester starts in mid-September and ends in mid-January every year.

    ❑ Spring semester starts in late February and ends in late June every year.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 47 Times
  • 15. Does SHU accept freshman applications for this program?

    Full-time undergraduate and graduate students, except for freshmen, with excellent English OR Chinese speaking and writing proficiency and intercultural adaptability with a recommendation letter from home university’s international office are qualified for the selection.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 42 Times
  • 16. Is there any Insurance that SHU provides for exchange students?

    The accident insurance is provided to all exchange students in the event of unexpected accidents during their study at SHU. The starting date will begin on the official airport pick-up date and ends on the date of airport drop-off service date.

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 74 Times
  • 17. Is any free airport pick-up service available?

    Free airport pick-up service information:

    ❑ Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport

    ❑ Official airport date announced through e-mail by the Office of International Affairs

    ❑ Arrival Time from 10am to 4pm

    ❑ The root is from Taoyuan International Airport to SHU dorm

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 49 Times
  • 18. What other transportation is there to SHU?

    ❑ Taipei Metro system/ MRT

    ❑ Bus

    ❑ Taxi

    For further details, please check the following link Location & Transportation

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(1) / No(0)
    Viewed 50 Times
  • 19. Are there any Mandarin Courses that we can take? If so, are they free?

    The exchange students will be able to take fundamental Mandarin Language courses and other courses offered in English by various academic departments on SHU campus and the tuition will be waived.

    For the Official Website of The Center for Teaching Chinese as a Second Language, please visit Center For Teaching Chinese as a Second Language

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(0) / No(0)
    Viewed 60 Times
  • 20. Which Office is in charge of the non-degree short-term exchange program at SHU?

    International Academic Exchange Center, Office of International Affairs

     Title Name Email Address
    Inbound Student Senior Vicky Wu 
    Outbound Student Senior Elaine Li
    Dean of International Affairs David Wu

    For the Official Website of Office of the International Affairs, please visit

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(0) / No(0)
    Viewed 54 Times
  • 21. What is the difference between visitor and resident VISA?
    • Visitor Visa is required for all short-term exchange students with non-R.O.C. citizenship. Since it may require from a few days up to several weeks to obtain a visitor visa depending on your location, it is imperative to inquire as early as possible to access to the nearest Taiwan embassy or the consulate of Taiwan (the Republic of China) in your country for detailed and accurate information.
    • Resident Visa:Foreign nationals, who hold ordinary passports or other legal travel documents, who intend to stay in the Republic of China for more than six months for the purpose of participating in international exchange programs are required to apply for the Alien Resident Certificate and Re-entry Permit at local service centers of the National Immigration Agency within 15 days starting from the next day of their arrival. They may stay in the ROC as long as the Alien Resident Certificate remains valid.

    For the VISA information, please visit Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China (TAIWAN)

    For the Residents Visas for Foreign Students (Exchange students) information, please visit

    Was this answer helpful ? Yes(0) / No(0)
    Viewed 56 Times